Sunday, February 25, 2007

Dust Storm

It was a sunny and clear day, when I went out for a weekend lunch buffet. Though there was a ‘High Wind Warning’ and ‘Blowing Dust Advisory’ from National Weather Service, the wind was not very strong at that time.


And what I saw when I returned home after lunch was really amazing. The wind was so strong making driving difficult. The whole sky was yellowish orange and the visibility was reduced.

When I stepped out of the car, I could feel the dust in my throat and eyes. The powerful wind storm has carried with it a massive amount of dust giving an ominous orange tint to the skyline.


Later from news sites I gathered more details about this event. The wind speed was more than 50 miles (80+ kilometers) per hour. This dust storm was first of its kind in Dallas area and has caused lots of problems across North Texas. Thousands of homes were without power and hundreds of flights were cancelled at Dallas Fort Worth Airport. Luckily, everything was fine at the area where I was living, and the strong wind lasted only till night.

2 comments: